Friday 3 January 2014

HICCUPS

                                       

Never give up on your dreams, there sure will be obstacles. On your way, you might stumble or lose hope. But be focused, determined & believe that you can.
Being a lawyer has been my dream since the ninth standard. 4 years later, on 1st July, 2013 I took my first step towards becoming one. 1500 kilometers from my home in Calcutta, I stood in front of my Dream. Nervous, unsure & apprehensive about the unknown. I always wanted to break away from the monotony of my ordinary life. Escape from the known & venture in search of New. But hardly did I realize how difficult this was going to get. A little voice instead me whispered ‘ Go back’.
Silencing the little menace, in a sudden burst of excitement I walked up proudly to the reception desk to collect my ID card.
Nervous look, smiling faces, arrogant stares & blank lost expressions. People from different facets of life we're here to conglomerate into one. People started mingling. Groups were being formed. The college corridor was always buzzing with robust energy. Everyone was trying their best to gain comfort in the company of the like-minded.

However a midst all the excitement & peals of laughter I was lost. I withdrew myself into a shell. I couldn't figure out what exactly was the Problem. Being the jovial extrovert I was, I somehow became the complete opposite. Was it the new Environment? Or the pangs of leaving my Home in Calcutta? Or was it just my opinionated views of others?
As days passed, things seemed to get worse. Somewhere down the line, I started feeling like a misfit. Was it the reality or just a psychological block, I was yet to figure. Whatever the case may be,’ going back’ was certainly not the answer. Not because of the paper notes that were spent on me. Neither was it because I was afraid of the tags people would pin on me.
But simply because a dream seen 4 years ago was not something I was willing to compromise with this easily. I decided to hang on.

It is 4 in the morning, 29th July. Antara is sleeping right next to me with her earphones plugged in, probably trying to motivate herself to study Jurisprudence for the next Day. Shivangi is on the other bed glued to her laptop watching Robert Pattinson in ‘Remember Me’.

No they aren’t my Roommates’ (Don’t you dare tell the Warden :P)
My roommate Vrinda is going to be back tomorrow morning and probably scream her lungs out at me for messing up with her Bed and dumping all my books on her desk (Yes she is a cleanliness freak) Niharika is bugging me on Whatsapp with her   ‘Wolverine’ love.
Protiti must have again fought with her roommate to switch off the lights so that she could have her calculated sleep of 9 hours. Yet I know the first thing she will tell me tomorrow morning is ‘ I could not sleep AT ALL)
The first thing I have to do after entering college is to grab Neelabh’s Jurisprudence notes and irritate him with my never ending doubts. Saptarko as usual will come with his little school bag and with a very innocent face, telling me that he still hasn’t progressed beyond 7 pages of the Jurisprudence Case. Karan will come grinning in the break to make fun of my fractured foot and annoy me.
And tomorrow when Director Sir will begin his class by asking ‘Are you Comfortable?’
I will simply smile back at him because the comfort I was searching for all these days is finally here.


Srijata Majumdar
Batch- 2013-18







No comments: