Tuesday 18 November 2014

Nostalgia- Fond Remembrance of Your City

Rewari, Haryana

Rewari that’s the name of the place where I belong to, place where I spent my childhood, place where I spent 18 years of my life, place that instilled in me good qualities, place that made me what I am today.

When I came to Symbiosis and my fellow mates asked me which place I belong to, my answer “I am from Rewari, Haryana” got me blank expressions from them because nobody has ever heard the name of the city called Rewari. So now, here I am telling everyone about my city.

Rewari is one among the 21 districts of Haryana State. It is located in south-west Haryana 82 km (51 mi) from old Delhi and 51 km (32 mi) from Gurgaon. It was founded by Nand Ram, an Ahir. It remained a part of Gurgaon district until reorganization in 1972 saw it transferred to Mahendragarh district. Further changes, in 1989, led to the creation of the Rewari district.

Rewari is famous for lots of things like “Rewadi” a sweet-dish as the name says metalwork industry in brass, copper sheets and utensils, ornamental shoes (Tilledar Jooti), festival of Teej and many more but the most famous and known place is The Rewari Heritage Steam Locomotive Museum.

Rewari Heritage Steam Locomotive Museum is  is the only surviving steam loco shed in India and houses some of India's last surviving steam locomotives. It was built in 1893 and was the only loco shed in North India connecting path with Delhi to Peshawar.
After steam engines were phased out by 1990, the loco shed remained in neglect for many years before it was decided by Indian Railways in December 2002 to recuperate it as a heritage museum. The restoration of loco shed from the lost, ruins and unremembered to its present considerable condition has been a long process and a result of lot of time and dedication by many people. The loco shed was renovated as a heritage tourism destination and the refurnished heritage museum was opened in 9 October 2010. The engines are also available for live demonstrations.

This place has many visitors from India and outside India who just come to see a steam engine and see how it works. It’s a great, joyous and memorable experience for everyone who visits there. Lots of films have been shot at the Rewari Steam Locomotive Shed like Gadar, Veer Zara, Rang De Basanti and Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.

On the whole it’s a great place to visit with historical significance and the only place in India to see Steam engine and their live demonstration.



-Aashi Agarwal
Batch 2014-19

No comments: