Thursday 18 December 2014

Because Even Sunrise Can Be Heard


 It was early dawn. The Sun was still behind the blanket of clouds. I woke up. Wore my shoes, pulled up my jacket and jogged out of my door. While jogging, I came by the hill side. Slowly the day was leaping into the sky.

Some 20 feet beyond, I saw someone searching for something on the ground. I went closer. There was a blind man bent low on the ground searching for something. He was looking for his walking stick. It lay some 5 feet apart from the man. I asked the man what was he doing there. He answered,” It’s been almost twenty years since I last saw sunrise from my eyes. Today morning, I’ve come here to arise these faded memories of those days now gone by. Then, I used to watch the rising sun from my eyes, but now I feel it, I hear it, I sense it.” He closed his eyes and a glimmering smile came over his calm face. I wondered what brought that smile on his face. At that moment, he said,” I can hear the chirping birds. I can feel the golden sunrise, the calmness of the hill side, the dew glitter on the fresh leaves and the cold breeze blow over me.”

 Then he insisted that I close my eyes and then imagine the world. I closed my eyes, made myself peaceful at heart and mind and let my colours of imagination fly. Then I realized that what the blind man said was true. That moment was ‘all’ and that was ‘enough’. That moment’s impact was profound. What I realized was that with open eyes, we rarely wait to see what we are missing. We just keep going with the moving machines. What we all need to do is stop for a moment, WAIT and UNDERSTAND. When I closed my eyes, I could feel the sun rays break the cloud cover and shine bright on my face. I could hear the dawn’s music. The frozen water drops from the leaves. The leaves of the trees whispering among themselves. I could imagine the blue blooming into a flower and the pupa turning into a butterfly. I could feel a new ray of hope rising. When I opened my eyes, nature was in its utmost form. The sky above was lit in bright colours of golden, orange and dawn-rose. As the day begun, the shadows of the night melted and the colours of the waking earth returned. There were beauties that pierced like a sword or melted like snow. That ‘one moment’ was the one which I can single out from an interwoven mesh of memories and cherish even today. That very moment made me forgot the daily hum-drum of life. It laid a great emphasis on my interpretation of how beautiful and soothing our life can be.

A new day had begun. A new hope had risen. New goals had been set and new paths laid and the new opportunities awaited. All one need to do is to realize what one is missing. Therefore, for those who want to achieve greater heights, Sunrise can even be heard and impossibilities be achieved.



Rudrakhsi Joshi
2014-19

No comments: